Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Upcoming Speaking Gigs for April and May, 2011

I'm still working on my ideas for teleclasses; if there are topics you'd like me to cover, comment here and let me know! :)

And if you want to see me live and person, I'll be speaking at a variety of events in the next two months:

  • The Annual Writers Institute at University of Wisconsin/Madison, on April 8-10, 2011. Held in one of my favorite cities (and my birthplace!), this is a great weekend for writers of all stripes. I'll be presenting three different sessions, covering topics including Six-Figure Freelancing to query-writing to today's book publishing options.
  • "Breaking in: The Basics of Writing for Magazines" at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 at the Niles Public Library in Niles, Illinois. [Here's the program description: Have you dreamed of writing for magazines? Want to see your byline in your favorite publication? While basic writing skills are essential, the keys to successful magazine freelancing are selecting and analyzing potential markets, developing winning article ideas and crafting attention-getting query letters. This program will introduce you to some common magazine terminology and cover basics like how to find markets, come up with story ideas, and nail your first magazine assignments. Presented by Kelly James-Enger, author of twelvebooks including Six-Figure Freelancing: The Writer's Guide to Making More Money (Random House, 2005) and 800+ articles for more than 50 national magazine articles.]
  • "Breaking In: The Basics of Writing for Magazines" at 1 p.m. on Saturday, April 16, 2011, at the Ela Area Public Library in Lake Zurich, Illinois.
  • The OWFI Writers Conference in Oklahoma City from May 5-7, 2011. I attended this conference last year, and am returning to present programs on topics including freelancing for magazines, getting started in ghostwriting, and legal and business issues for freelancers.

I'll also be in NYC for the 40th Annual ASJA Writers Conference at the end of April. I'm a member of ASJA and this event is arguably the best conference for serious freelancers. It's led to literally tens of thousands of dollars of work for me, valuable connections, and awesome friends as well! Check it out and see if it's worthwhile for you to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment