Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Flip the Script--Choose a Market Over an Idea

Welcome back to the Blogathon! 

When I started freelancing, I used to find a story idea and then locate a potential market for it. When I found a market where the idea looked liked it would fit, I wrote a query and pitched it.

That strategy worked for me for years--and led to me writing for more than 30 national magazines during my first few years of freelancing. When I started writing about freelancing, I recommended that freelancers take a similar approach. 

Well, I was wrong. Or at least that approach is.

Today, I've flipped that script. Instead of starting with an idea, I start with the market. I find a market that I think I can write for more than once. With the market in mind, I start coming up with ideas--and I pitch the market until I get an assignment (or give up--more on that in a future post).

So don't start with an idea. Start with your target market instead. It's much easier to write for a market over and over than continually market to brand-new ones--and choosing markets over ideas makes you more efficient as a freelancer. 

Your assignment? Locate a market that you want to write for--and start brainstorming ideas for it. 

**Want more smart, proven freelance advice? Check out one of my books on freelancing: 

No comments:

Post a Comment