Search This Blog

Monday, September 1, 2014

For Labor Day: Changing the Way You Labor?

Happy Labor Day to my American Readers, first off. I hope you're taking it off, like I am! 

My kids started school last week, and I'm slowly starting to find a work groove. One of my goals for the coming year is to work more efficiently--which to me means working when I'm supposed to be working. I work part-time hours, so I have to make the most of them. I'm sorry to say that lately I've been wasting plenty of time while I should be working...and my biggest time-waster is Facebook. 

Of course I'm not alone; according to Facebook (which admittedly may be a biased source), Americans average 40 minutes a day on Facebook. That sounds about right for me--and I'm almost always on Facebook during my work hours. Well, 40 minute of lost work time a day equals at least 10 to 15 percent of my available work time, and that's quite a loss--and it's not making me any more productive when I do get back to my current assignments.  

 So I've decided I'll only check Facebook at the end of the workday and not allow myself any "quick" social media breaks when I'm supposed to be working. If I do need a break, I'll take one away from the computer. I think it'll be a better way to recharge, too, even if I miss out on a few status posts, quizzes, and photos of cute kids. 

Will this be challenging? I'm sure. But it's one simple way I can get more from my work time without sacrificing anything else.

What about you? What one thing can you do differently to work more efficiently? Feel free to  comment and let me know. 

**My latest book,Goodbye Byline, Hello Big Bucks: Make Money Ghostwriting Books, Articles, Blogs and More, Second Edition, shows writers how to break into the ghostwriting/content marketing field. Want more advice about making more money as a freelancer in less time? Check out Six-Figure Freelancing: The Writer's Guide to Making More Money, Second Editiona freelancing classic that helps both new and experienced writers boost their bottom line. And if you're brand-new to freelancing, I recommend Dollars and Deadlines: Make Money Writing Articles for Print and Online Markets

No comments:

Post a Comment